History of the Village
Vaida-Cămăraş (Vajdakamarás in Hungarian) is 35 kms far from Cluj-Napoca, the cultural center of Transylvania. It is an old settlement founded in the Middle Ages. However nowadays it has only about 1100 inhabitants.
According to the historians the name of the village (Kamarás in Hungarian, Cămăraş in Romanian) is relateted with the salt mine of Cojocna, more precisely, it was the place (kamra in Hungarian, cămară in Romanian) where the salt was kept. Later on in the XIVth century, when mining progressed the village was considered the Transylvanian monarchs' (vajda in Hungarian, voievod in Romanian) domain.
Although at the end of the XIIth century the villagers were Roman Catholics and the village belonged to the Parish of Cojocna, at the time of reformation they became Unitarians. The locals became reformed probably in the 17th century when the village became the property of the reformed nobleman János Bethlen. However, the church itself, which was built in 1369 by the Catholics, was repurchased from the Unitarians only after its renovation in 1779.
Besides the Reformed church, in the village there is also an Ortodox church which originally was built of wood and belonged to the Greek Catholic Church. This was rebuilt by the Ortodox Church in 1926.
During First World War, more precisely in 1914 two men and nine women became members of the Adventist Church. The number of the people who chose to belong to this denomination encreased up to one hundred by the year of 1930, and it has encreased continually after that. In this way nowadays almost half of the inhabitants belong to the Adventist Church.
Nowadays the traditional clothes are worn only at special occasions. Although traditions do not have future in this village, thanks to the ambition of the locals and to the partnership with the community of Wimpassing, Austria the village started to develop.
str. Principală, 223A
Copyright © 2007; Katona Hajnal § Mihályfalvi Katalin